I am such a soup lover. I love everything about it. The process of chopping the veg (often with the children) simmering the vegetables and blitzing and ladling. We have soup a lot in the winter and I love cool soup in the summer. Broccoli in soup has always done it for me and the kids love their green soup too (plus I know they are getting good nourishment) The potatoes thicken and adding a drizzle of yogurt helps to make it creamy. Sitting down together as a family with bowls of soup and sourdough bread and chatting through our days is one of those simple things I’ll never get bored of.
Have you ever played Rose, thorn, and bud around the dinner table? We do this often. In turn, we talk about the best bits of our days (rose) the worst bits of our days (thorn), and the things we are most looking forwards too (bud) It’s a great way for your children to let you know what’s going on in their minds and to reconnect as a family with how we are all feeling and what’s going on for us. This is something I teach with my simplicity parenting work.
For more on simplicity, parenting checks out the podcast Simplicity Parenting Diaries with Kim John Payne. They are great and you can listen to the short episodes as you’re making the soup!!!
Broccoli and Ginger Oil Soup
- hand blender
- 1 tbsp Coconut oil
- 7 oz (200 grams) Leeks, chopped
- 2 heads Broccoli Florets
- 1 Potato peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 drop dōTERRA Ginger Oil
- 6 cups (3 Liters) stock vegetable stock preferred
- 6 tbsp natural yogurt Or vegan yogurt
- 6 tsp Sunflower Seed
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the leeks and cook for around 5-6 minutes, until leeks are softened.
- Add in the ginger oil, broccoli florets, chopped potato, turmeric, salt, sesame oil and stock
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Blend until creamy and smooth with a hand blender, then season to taste with slt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve topped with yogurt and sunflower seeds.