I’ve had a love affair with tomatoes my whole life ever since I was a child when I clearly remember picking tomatoes with my grandfather in his greenhouse and eating them like sweets. When I smell a vine-ripened tomato the aromatics always take me straight back to those magical days.
I love how our sense of smell evokes memories and feelings so powerfully and this is one of the ways how I explain how essential oils work in reaching the limbic system of our brains (where we process our emotions). Sun-dried tomatoes for me taste like the sun, the sun that ripened and dried them. Sweet bursts of magic.
This is such a simple dish that you can knock up really easily mid-week for the fam. Go gentle with the basil oil as sometimes one drop can be too much and all that’s needed is a toothpick swirl or two!
Creamy Vegan Sun-dried Tomato Pasta with Basil Oil
- food processor
- 2 cups (200 grams) brown rice pasta
For the Sauce
- 1 cup (100 grams) sun-dried tomatoes, drained
- ⅔ cup (100 grams) roasted almonds
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 ¼ cup (300 ml) almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 tbsp whatever fresh herbs you have (I like coriander, parsley, mint and basil and often use them all in one go)
- 1 drop dōTERRA Basil oil
- Cook the pasta according to instructions on the packaging.
- Place all the sauce ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth. Add more milk or water if needed to reach a sauce-like consistency.
- Pour the sauce over the pasta and heat for about 4-5 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Serve with freshly ground black pepper.